Friday, December 12, 2008

Which mammal has the shortest gestation period? Which one has the longest?

Gestation period: Gestation is the period of time between fertilization and birth of mammals—in other words, the time spent in the mother's uterus.
Opossom-12 days

Mouse- 21 days

Dog- 2 months

Lion- 4 months

Grizzly Bear- 7 months

Giraffe- 14 months

Orca Whale-12-16 months
Elephant- 22 months









The shortest known gestation period is 12 to 13 days. A marsupial, the American or Virginian opossum is known to have the shortest gestation period.













The longest gestation period for a mammal is that of the African elephant with an average of 20-22 months.
The human gestation period is 9 months. Leaving me due June 25th!

16 comments:

Zoey said...

Love the post! A very creative way!!!

Jared and Lisa said...

what!!! Im so excited for you.... I guess this means I need to start trying so our kids are close right... ha ha

Ashley Reno said...

CUTE! I love the creative announcement. Congrats again.

Sidney said...

Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you!

Tiffany Mock-Cook said...

Ang so sorry I was not able to answer the phone when you called! I am so super excited for you! Great news! Love ya and I will call you back!

Russell and Jillian said...

Congratulations! That's so exciting!

dkeaquinto said...

Yeah!! I was cracking up and had to read the entire thing out loud to Dan! You look beautiful in your picture- you are already glowing... :)

Kinsey Pistorius said...

I thought that was coming!!!! Congratulations - we are so excited for you all! :)

Shanda said...

Congrats!You are so cute. So happy for you.

Rachel said...

Hey...you've been tagged. Check out my blog for details. :)

Steve & Lynne said...

Congrats to you! Another cute Warth to add to your family! June is a great month!

Vanessa said...

Congratulations, and thanks for the biology lesson!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh.. so exciting! Congrats! I have a just over 4 weeks left, you better get in here to the gym!!! jk. Take your time!

Karen Howell said...

Congrats! Before long you'll be caught up with us!

Tammy said...

Congrautlations!!! Hope all is well with your family. Can you email me your address and phone number the ones I have for you aren't right. Love and Miss you.
townsendtammy@yahoo.com

Tammy

Anonymous said...

hey a belated CONGRATS!!!! bet the kids are so excited!